Shaina Levee is a trauma-informed psychotherapist, educator, and community organizer. She is the creator of Birth Love Family, specializes in birth trauma and life transitions, and has been in private practice for over a decade. She and Eric talk about pre- and perinatal psychology, the impacts perinatal trauma can have on our psychological and even physical development, and the stigma associated with childbirth and how it impacts women’s expectations and experience, among other things.
Note: In our conversation Shaina mistakenly combined two different studies regarding fetal senses. The study that demonstrated a fetus’ sense of touch was published in 1978 by Montagu and showed that the first sensitivity to touch manifests in a set of protective movements to avoid a mere hair stroke on the cheek.
Links & Resources
- Support A Worldview Apart on Patreon
- Birth Love Family website
- Find Shaina on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @birthlovefamily
- Birth Love Family Fest (October 6, 2018, in Shelburne, VT)
- Discovering the Mind of the Prenate (YouTube)
- The Mind of Your Newborn Baby, a book by Dr. David Chamberlain
- Stephen Porges Infosite
- Somatotropic Therapy, by William R. Emerson (the article Shaina briefly paraphrased in our conversation)