Tim DeChristopher is best known for disrupting a Bureau of Land Management oil and gas auction in December of 2008 where he outbid oil companies for parcels around Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in Utah with no intention of paying for the parcels. This act of civil disobedience formed the cornerstone of the documentary Bidder 70. Tim founded the climate justice organization Peaceful Uprising in Salt Lake City, and most recently founded the Climate Disobedience Center. He and Eric talk about his experience using civil disobedience as a tool in climate change activism, the need for activists to prioritize healing their personal trauma within their activist work, and the source of civil disobedience’s power, among other things.
Links & Resources
- Support A Worldview Apart on Patreon
- Tim DeChristopher’s website
- Tim DeChristopher’s Facebook Page
- Climate Disobedience Center
- The Climate Workshop Podcast
- Follow Tim DeChristopher on Twitter @dechristopher