In addition to my podcast and online classes, I busy myself with a few other creative and professional endeavors. These include writing, audio and video production, coaching and mentoring, consulting, and public speaking. Sign up for my newsletter at the bottom of this page if you want to keep up with my workings, and contact me if you would like to know more, work with me on a project, or have me speak at your event.
I do a fair amount of writing, and release my essays on Medium. I also archive them here, in the resource list towards the bottom of this page. Since much of my writing is freely available, I gratefully accept financial support via PayPal and Patreon. My Patreon patrons can download my essays as PDFs for easier reading. I am also working on my first book.
I also produce short videos exploring various topics, including storytelling. These videos include two series titled Gratitude and Grief and Deep Connection. You can watch these on my YouTube Channel. Subscribe to my channel to receive notifications of new releases.
I offer personalized coaching and mentoring programs for individuals and small groups. These typically focus on place-based subsistence skills (hunting, fishing, foraging and making associated tools), voluntary simplicity, and adaptation to environmental and political change. I offer some of these programs online, while others are best carried out in-person.
Since 2003 I have consulted on a range of projects spanning energy, food, and environmental systems. I have partnered with government agencies, businesses, and non-profits large and small, and have worked locally, nationally and even internationally. I have a broad skill set, and assist clients in many ways. These days I am most interested in projects that relate to systems analysis and adaptation to environmental and political change. My rates are competitive, I am organized and dependable, and deliver quality work in a timely fashion.
Finally, I have given talks at a variety of conferences, symposia, and other events. You can find links to a few of them in the resource list below, although many others were not recorded or not made available to the public. Reach out if you want me to speak at your event.
Below you can find a list of resources I produced, contributed to, or was featured in.
- Read Awakening to the Traumacene, an essay I also released on Medium (Download PDF)
- Listen to me talk about hunting and my near-death experience on Eugene Kim’s On Death Podcast
- Read Section 4.6 of the Vermont Farm to Plate Strategic Plan, which I co-authored
- Read A Non-Hunter Explores the Experience of Hunting, about a course on hunting I co-taught with Murphy Robinson
- Read The Role of Energy in Food Production, a short article I wrote for Vermont’s Agriview
- Watch the Biophysical Constraints Panel I was on at the University of Vermont Food Systems Summit
- Watch my presentation The Energy Basis Of Food Security, recorded at the UVM Food Systems Summit
- Read The True Cost of Food, which discusses my work on the energy intensity of food production
- Listen to Jane Lindholm, of Vermont Public Radio, interview me in Running the Numbers on Local Vs. Long Distance Food
- Watch my presentation The Energy Intensity Of Food, recorded at the UVM Campus Food and Energy Seminar Series
- Read Researching Best Practices for Grazing Farms, which featured my work on the energy intensity of pastured meat operations
- Read The Energy Return on Energy Invested Of Biodiesel In Vermont, a report I wrote for Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund
- Read Overcoming Systemic Roadblocks To Sustainability, an article I co-authored for Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences